The holiday season is in full swing! Parties are being planned. Holiday visits scheduled. This is a wonderful opportunity to spend quality time with the ones we love as we reflect on the past year and await a new one.
For many seniors, though, being happy during the holidays can be a struggle - especially if they are far away from family members. Fortunately, there are many activities and strategies for giving your beloved senior a sense of holiday joy.
Many seniors do not recognize their loneliness or the health problems that feeling lonely can cause. As a result, few will voice their need for additional support.
Look for these signs of loneliness among seniors:
- Under or oversleeping
- Withdrawal from existing relationships
- Combativeness or moodiness
- Lack of appetite
- Anxiety over change or visitors leaving
- Lack of interest in normal passions
- Decreased attention to self-care
Nostalgia, memories of lost loved ones, and distance from family can all contribute to the holiday blues. With a little planning, you can brighten the holiday the season for your senior.
Add cheer to seasonal loneliness with strategies like these:
- Display holiday cards and greetings
- Set up decorations with seniors
- Help seniors make video calls to loved ones
- Sign seniors up for in-house visits by carolers or other holiday volunteers
For more tips on how to bring holiday cheer to your senior, . Our December Marketing Monthlies are a great source of information, and they are also available as PDFs so you can distribute them to clients, their family members, and prospects.