Being physically limited while mentally alert can be difficult. Many people feel their brains stay young even as their bodies age. Physical challenges affecting mentally alert seniors can be frustrating as a result.
Many aspects of aging are challenging. The deterioration of the body is one of those challenges. For seniors who are mentally alert, coping with physical limitations can be especially difficult. There are several ways to help seniors’ mental wellbeing while they face challenges with their physical health.
Coping with the Physical Aging Process While Mentally Young
Since anxiety and depression can result when mentally alert seniors struggle with physical challenges, it is important to protect their emotional well-being. Coping mechanisms many seniors find helpful include:
- Adopting hobbies that require mental agility but little physical effort
- Using technology and tools to adapt to physical limitations
- Retaining independence in whatever ways are possible
- Regularly engaging socially apart from physical activity
- Having access to transportation if independent driving is not possible
- Participation in reasonable physical activities, especially to prevent further limitation
For more information and tips on caring for mentally alert seniors with physical limitations, ! Marketing Monthlies are a great source of information, and they are also available as PDFs so you can distribute them to clients, their family members, and prospects.
(Source: The American Stroke Association)