A common complaint among seniors is how tired they are as a result of poor sleep. Elderly ones often don’t sleep well but this does not have to be a foregone conclusion. There are many tips and tricks that can help seniors fight insomnia and get proper rest.
For seniors who live at home with the help of an in-home caregiver, reminders can be set in ClearCare’s home care system and home care software that will help seniors adopt appropriate sleep habits and routines.
1. Avoid alcohol. Although a nightcap might make it easier for seniors to fall asleep, it won’t help them stay asleep. Alcohol, especially more than a single glass of wine, can disrupt sleep cycles and make seniors wake up feeling drugged and drowsy.
2. Sit in the morning sunshine. Early morning sun exposure helps reset our body’s internal clock so we fall asleep more easily at night. Caregivers using ClearCare’s innovative home care system and home care software can set alerts for important reminders, such as keeping seniors hydrated and properly covered with sunscreen.
3. Monitor medications. Certain prescriptions may interfere with sleep. Seniors should check with their doctors to see if alternatives are available that may be less disruptive. By the same token, sleeping pills could be prescribed for persistent insomnia. ClearCare’s home care software includes a sophisticated medication management system that helps administrators, caregivers, and physicians monitor each patient’s prescriptions. Caregivers can easily communicate health concerns with other members of the care team using ClearCare’s home care system.
4. Adopt a better bedtime routine. Just because you may have always watched television before bed and turned out the lights at 10:00 p.m., this does not mean the same habits will continue to work in your favor. Bedtime routines – as well as bed times – may need to be adjusted as we age. Many seniors find soothing music or relaxing with a good book a better way to unwind than watching TV. Reminders can be set in ClearCare’s home care system so caregivers know when to prompt the senior to turn in for the night.
5. Nix the naps. Naps that last too long, or that are too late in the day, can make it almost impossible to fall asleep at night. Try taking shorter naps, or rest earlier in the day. Rely on your caregiver’s home care software to help you get into the right naptime routine.
Experts recommend experimenting with different bedtime rituals and wake times. It may a week or two to see results, so be patient. Caregivers can monitor their client’s progress using ClearCare’s home care system and home care software.
What sleeping tips and tricks have proved beneficial for you? Drop us a line and join in the discussion!