‘Tis the season…for fraud and scams. Although the holidays typically mean egg nog, presents, and good cheer, unfortunately they also bring out the criminals in full force. Year-round there are schemers who prey on the innocent, but scams become particularly problematic during the holiday season as con artists take advantage of people’s generous spirit. Especially vulnerable are our nation’s elderly, who make ideal targets. Families and caregivers should be extra diligent about protecting seniors and their finances during the holiday season.
Keeping seniors safe and comfortable in their own homes is a key objective of ClearCare’s home care system and home care software. Families that take advantage of a quality home care system, such as ClearCare, can work together with caregivers to ensure their loved ones – and their interests – are safe and protected.
To safeguard against financial crimes this holiday season, here are some things to keep an eye out for.
- Investment offers that pressure you to “act immediately” or pay up front. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Emails that ask for personal identification. Banks will never email or call and ask for your account number.
- Online links. Everything looks legitimate online these days. Be very skeptical when it comes to website links that promise free prizes, and never click on an email link from someone you don’t know.
To highlight the need for consumer protection and education, the United States government offers additional Fraud Information for more tips on reducing your chances of being victimized.
Safeguarding Seniors with Home Care Software
The holidays should be a time spent with family and friends, not worrying about theft or fraudulent scams. Here are a few additional safeguards to be aware of.
- Be cautious with charitable giving. It’s a good idea to verify what charity you are contributing to, before you hand over any cash. This is especially important when conducting transactions online. If you have doubts, check out the organization with the BBB Wise Giving Alliance.
- Use a reliable home care system and home care software. Families that work with a reputable home care agency should ask what type of home care system is offered. Dependable home care software like ClearCare provides 24/7 real-time visibility to each patient’s daily point-of-care. Family members can use their computer or Smartphone to make sure the caregiver is actually at the home of their loved one, ensuring care is always being given as scheduled.
Don’t let fraud ruin your holiday season. There are a variety of ways scammers try and get to the elderly, but there are also many ways that seniors can prevent fraud from actually taking place. Seniors that live at home with the help of a home care system and home care software can ask their caregivers for assistance when making financial decisions. Communication between care providers and family members is easier than ever with ClearCare’s home care software, so caregivers can double check with relatives before money changes hands.
Enjoy a happy – and safe – holiday season by following the tips mentioned above, and by relying on a quality home care system like ClearCare for your elderly loved one’s needs.
What precautionary steps will your family take this holiday season? Drop us a note and let us know!