Donald J. Dymer, president and chief executive officer of SingleSource – a national background screening company - calls on home care agencies not to cut corners on critical background checks that could result in countless cases of neglect, abuse, or fraud.
Currently there are more than 40 million seniors aged 65 or older in the United States. This figure is expected to double by the year 2030. As our nation’s elderly population continues to age and live longer, the home care industry will have significant opportunities to flourish. With a solid reputation, a trusted home care system and home care software, home care agencies can not only survive, but thrive.
Building Your Business
Successful home care agencies that have risen above their competitors have worked long and hard to build reputations of excellence. Experts agree that in order to succeed in this highly competitive and challenging industry, agencies must:
- Recognize and accept the fact that you are in a competitive yet lucrative market, where turning a profit is key. The more time you spend building your business, the more your bottom line will grow.
- Build your reputation. The success of your business depends largely on your agency’s name and what that name represents.
- How you hire your 1st or 100th employee lays the foundation for your success or failure. Hiring mistakes account for a significant amount of company failures. Monitoring and reviewing employees is a critical part of any successful business. A sophisticated home care system and home care software such as ClearCare makes tracking employee details easier than ever.
- Your agency’s business practices must be practical and consistent. Start with a sound business plan and organizational chart of where you are, and where you want to be in one to three years. Use ClearCare’s home care software and home care system to stay organized, communicate with your staff more effectively, and securely file important business documents.
- Utilize technology such as ClearCare’s home care system and home care software to increase your client base, satisfy more customers, and provide your caregivers with the right tools to give patients the care they need.
Keeping Clients Safe and Satisfied
Whether you are new to the home care industry or have been in the business for years, it’s crucial for agency administrators to regularly evaluate their business polices and the standard of care being provided. SingleSource background screening CEO Donald Dymer urges business owners to ask themselves:
- When is the last time I reviewed my insurance policies?
- Are my hiring practices standardized for all levels of employees?
- Do I have a written screening policy?
- Are the certifications and licenses current for each of my staff?
- If I lose a client, do I investigate to find out why?
- Is my agency safe from allegations of substandard care, neglect, or abuse?
In addition to running background checks through SingleSource or similar service, it’s imperative that agency owners continue to monitor their caregivers. One negative client experience can haunt your business for years to come. ClearCare’s home care software and home care system helps countless agencies track patient care, manage caregiver training and certifications, match appropriate caregivers to each client, and provide families with real-time visibility to their loved one’s daily care.
It takes dedication and focus to survive in the home care industry, but it can be done. Start following the steps outlined above, and you’ll be well on your way to establishing a quality, reputable home care agency.