Elder abuse, neglect and fraud are making headlines nearly every day. Such instances are concerning not only to seniors, but their families as well. Yet when assistance at home is needed, there are many reputable home care agencies that provide quality care. Due diligence is required on the part of adult children or other family members who are searching for the right home care agency. Experienced caregivers and a sophisticated home care system are just two of the things to look for. Read on for a list of helpful questions that will help you make the right decision.
- Are your caregivers certified? Not every state requires certification, but reputable agencies often employ certified caregivers. Ask at what level the caregivers have been certified – this will give you confidence in the caregiver’s skills. An agency that uses a home care system like ClearCare will be able to match each client with the appropriate caregiver.
- Have your caregivers been properly trained and screened? Be specific. The agency should be able to give you a complete criminal background check that includes verified references and employment history. A recent study revealed 78 percent of survey respondents believed that their caregivers had received a recognized level of training, but no such training had been completed. ClearCare users can log in quickly to their home care software and show you their caregiver credentials.
- Are your caregivers bonded and insured? Look for worker’s compensation and liability insurance. You don’t want to be held liable for any injuries that happen in your home.
- What experience do your caregivers have? Ask for references – and follow up with a phone call. With the client/caregiver matching ClearCare’s home care software provides, you’ll feel reassured knowing you will be getting a trained caregiver that can give your loved one the level of care he needs.
- What kind of home care system do you use? Supervision is key in the home care industry. A reliable home care system ensures that proper protocols are being followed, the client-caregiver relationship is appropriate, and agreed-upon daily tasks are being completed as scheduled. Agencies that use ClearCare’s home care software can show you how easy it is to check on your loved one via tablet, internet, or Smartphone.
Although this list of questions will get you started, add a few of your own before you begin visiting agencies. Write down what is important to you – like cost, proper training, dependable home care software – and find the agency that fits your needs. By working with an agency that offers ClearCare’s home care software and home care system, your loved one will receive superior care and you will have incomparable peace of mind, knowing he is in capable hands.